What a Funeral Director Does
Helping others to cope with the emotional upheaval a major loss brings is a funeral director’s most important job. Funeral directors are experts when it comes to providing comfort, compassion and kindness for grieving families.
In addition to bereavement consolation, funeral directors are trained to make funeral planning easier by helping to manage every step of a loved one’s final arrangements. Call 1-800-252-8724, or contact us to have your questions answered by one of our caring funeral directors. Or, read more below about some of a funeral director’s specific duties.
Our Funeral Directors Are Here for Your Family
Funeral directors play an integral role in the funeral or cremation arrangement process. Following are some of the services our funeral directors provide.
When a Death Occurs
- Transfer the deceased from the place of death to the funeral home.
- Provide professional care of the deceased, which may include:
- Sanitary washing.
- Embalming preparation.
- Restorative art.
- And casketing.
Consultation Before Service
- Consult with family members to gather necessary information and to discuss specific arrangements for the burial or cremation, as well as any funeral service or gathering.
- File all certificates, permits, affidavits and authorizations as may be required by law.
- Acquire requested number of certified copies of the death certificate. These are needed to settle the estate of the deceased.
- Compile information and create an obituary placement for the family.
- Make arrangements for a family's choice of clergy, church or gathering location, as well as help with personalization such as music, photos, flowers and more.
- Make arrangements with a cemetery, crematory or another place of disposition.
- Provide the register book, prayer cards, funeral folders and acknowledgements as requested by the family.
- Assist with notifying relatives and friends.
- Arrange for clergy honorariums, music, flowers, death certificates, additional transportation, etc.
- Provide coordination and arrangement of floral pieces prior to any service or gathering, and the post-funeral distribution as directed by the family.
- Arrange for pallbearers, automobiles and special services (fraternal or military), as requested by the family.
- Provide care of all floral cards, mass cards or other memorial contributions presented to the family.
During and After Services
- Direct the funeral services in a professional and compassionate manner, and coordinate the funeral procession to a cemetery or other final resting place.
- Assist families with Social Security benefits, veterans insurance, grief counseling and other death-related needs.
- Meet with the family after the funeral to deliver the register book, and floral and mass cards.
Our caring funeral directors are here to help ease you through every step when a death occurs. Find out why Busch Funeral and Crematory Services is Greater Cleveland’s preferred provider for burial, cremation and preplanning services. Contact us to speak with a professional staff member about your needs, or call 800-252-8724 at any time.