For many, New Years is a time to gather and celebrate with family and friends. However, welcoming the new year can be a difficult experience for those who have recently lost a loved one.
You can ease your experience and get back on track by having a positive mindset this New Year.
If you or someone you know recently experienced the loss of a loved one, continue reading to learn about ways to focus on the positive as the New Year approaches.
1. Understand the natural grieving process.
In the months following the loss of a loved one, it is important to remember the grieving process has no set timeline. The stages of grief are natural and often unpredictable, which is why it is important to do what feels best to you. Understanding the grieving process cannot be rushed can help ease the experience.
2. Honor your loved one.
Although your loved one is no longer physically present, his or her legacy continues to live on through you. A great way to remember your loved one is by honoring them. Below are a few ways you can include your loved one in your day:
- Cook your loved one’s favorite meal.
- Volunteer or donate to a charity in your loved one’s honor.
- Light a memorial candle.
- Set a placeholder where they sat at the dinner table.
3. Surround yourself with friends and family.
While it may be easy to close yourself off from others, it is important to seek comfort in those closest to you. There are several health benefits of spending time with family and friends, especially when grieving during the holiday season. Consider taking the following actions:
- Accept comfort when it is offered.
- Confide in people whom you trust.
- Share stories and fond memories of your loved one.
4. Set aside time to reflect on the past year.
New Years is a time for reflection. Take some time to recall new memories you have made in the past year and think about the new memories you will make in the coming year. Listed below are a few simple ways you can focus on the positive in the New Year:
- Allow cherished memories with your loved one to propel you into the New Year.
- Find new ways to commemorate your loved one in your day-to-day life.
- Remind yourself of the positive impact your loved one made on you.
While New Years can be a difficult time for those who have recently lost a loved one, a positive outlook can help you back on the track heading into the New Year.
Busch Funeral and Crematory Services is available to help those spending this New Years without their loved one. Our compassionate staff offers support to those in need at any time of the day. Additionally, you can access our Grief Library for resources, visit our calendar of events for information on grief support programming, or contact us directly today.
Image: Daniel Hall via Flickr